Public Records Request

What is a public record?
A public record is any record containing information relating to the conduct of government business, which is prepared, owned, used, or retained by an agency. This includes, but is not limited to, electronic media, paper, email, microfilm audiotapes, videotapes, magnetic tapes, and disks (CDs/DVDs). A valid public records request is a request for a specific and identifiable public document. A request for general information is not a valid public records request. You do not have to identify the record you want with exact precision, but as much detail as you can provide will be helpful. Our staff may assist in clarifying your request.

Are public records requests confidential?
No. Once the District receives a public records request, the request itself becomes a public record of the District. Someone else may make a public records request for that document and we will provide it.

How are the five business days calculated when responding to a public records request?
RCW 42.56.520 provides that a response to a request for public records must be made within five (5) business days. The day the request is received does not count as one of the five (5) days. Weekends and holidays observed by the agency are also excluded in the calculation. Within the five (5) days, the City will do one of the following: - provide the records (or an installment of the records) - acknowledge receipt of the request and give an estimated timetable for delivery - ask for clarification - deny the request with a statement as to why the record is being withheld and a citation of the applicable state or federal statute.

Can the District utilize an installment methodology to respond to my records request?
Yes. When a request is made for a large number of records, the Public Records Officer may provide access for inspection and copying in installments, if he or she reasonably determines that it would be practical to provide the records in that manner. If, within 30 days, the requestor fails to inspect the entire set of records or one or more of the installments, the Public Records Officer may stop searching for the remaining records and close the request. Likewise, if payment for an installment is not made, the Public Records Officer may stop searching for the remaining records and close the request.

Some Public Records may be accessed through the District website without the necessity of a Public Records Request. The following frequently requested records are available online:

  1. District Policies
  2. School Board of Directors Names and Addresses
  3. School Board Meeting Agendas and Minutes
  4. Collective Bargaining Agreements

In accordance with District Policy 4040 and 4040P, all requests for records must be directed to the Public Records Officer, Susan Vining, EXCEPT for requests for student records and transcripts.  Please direct those requests to our District Secretary, Theresa Gleason at

Making a Public Records Request

You may submit your Public Records Request one of several ways. Click here for the form you need to submit.

1) By Email:

2) By U.S. Mail: Public Records Officer
Hood Canal School District #404
111 N State Route 106
Shelton, WA 98584

3) In Person: Public Records Request
Hood Canal School District #404
111 N State Route 106
Shelton, WA 98584

Hours of Inspection:
District records must be inspected in the District Office. Public records are made available for inspection and copying during normal business hours of the District, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding District holidays. 

Lists of Individuals:
If you are requesting lists of individuals, please complete and sign the Declaration of Non-Commerical Use Form and submit it with the completed Public Records Request Form. Lists of individuals will not be released without a signed Declaration of Non-Commercial Use.

Public Records Act Exemptions:
Certain information is exempt from disclosure by law.  Pursuant to RCW 42.56.070(2), "An agency's failure to list an exemption shall not affect the efficacy of any exemption."